City Offers $475k To Parents Whose Baby Swallowed Battery
A Florida city has proposed a settlement that would pay $475,000 to a family who were told their baby didn't need medical treatment after swallowing a battery.
Ensuing medical complications hospitalized the boy for three months.
According to the lawsuit, Lauderdale emergency responders told Yandy Joseph and Matthew Asea in 2016 that their son would likely just poop out the battery and didn't need a doctor. Instead, his saliva interacted with the battery lodged in his esophagus, causing permanent damage.
The Sun Sentinel reports city commissioners will decide whether to approve the settlement Monday. While Florida sovereign immunity laws cap payouts without legislative approval, assistant city attorney Angel Petti Rosenberg says the city wanted to settle to avoid making the parents go through a long trial and claims bill process.