food poisoning

Flickr Creative Commons

A Florida mother blames the death of her 15-year-old daughter on what she calls confusing packaging for Reese's Chips Ahoy cookies.

Joe Buckingham

Disease hunters are using genetic sequencing in their investigation of the ongoing food poisoning outbreak linked to romaine lettuce, a technique that is revolutionizing the detection of germs in food.

30 Become Ill At Science Fair After Suspected Food Poisoning

Feb 5, 2017
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Authorities say more than two dozen kids attending a science competition in north Florida fell ill and were taken to the hospital after eating a catered lunch.

Google Maps

Authorities say more 29 children at a South Florida preschool have been hospitalized after suffering from nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration. Authories believe food poisoning could be the reason.

In Tracking Outbreaks of Food Poisoning, Can Yelp Help?

Oct 22, 2015

When a Shigella outbreak at a San Jose, Calif. seafood restaurant sickened dozens of people last weekend, Yelp reviewers were on the case – right alongside public health officials.

Ciguatera poisoning is far more common in Florida, especially South Florida, than previously believed based on public health records, according to a new study from the University of Florida and the state Department of Health.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

A holiday party that sickened 55 office workers in Maitland this week has been reported to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The luncheon put 20 people in the hospital, including a pregnant woman.

If the Maitland outbreak happened in 2013, it would have ranked No. 8 on Food Safety News’ list of top 10 largest outbreaks.

Here’s how foodborne illness lawyer and Food Safety News publisher Bill Marler put it:

Police continue to investigate why a pregnant Tampa woman and her family were sickened and hospitalized after eating steak laced with LSD.

The family started started hallucinating, and experiencing dizziness and rapid heart beats after  eating the meat purchased at a nearby Wal-Mart, according to The Tampa Tribune.

Wikimedia Commons

  A jury has decided that a Walgreens pharmacy should pay $1.38 million to an Atlantic Beach patient who was injured by a prescription overdose, the Florida Times-Union reports. According to testimony, the patient’s prescription of Phenergan for food poisoning was written with a dose four times too high.