10,000+ TSA Workers Have Gotten COVID. How Many Worked At Florida Airports?
Miami International Airport ranked No. 1 with more than 500 cases, according to federal statistucs. Airports in Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa were also in the top 20.
More than 10,000 Transportation Security Administration workers across the country have tested positive for the COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.
Miami International Airport ranks No. 1, with more than 500 cases, according to federal statistucs. Two other Florida airports, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and Orlando, ranked fourth and fifth, respectively, with more than 360 cases each.
The only other Florida airport with more than 100 cases is Tampa International, with 115.
Here are the top 20 airports in number of TSA workers to test positive since March 2020, according to the agency:
- Miami International (MIA): 513
- Los Angeles International (LAX): 452
- John F. Kennedy International, New York City: 440
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International (FLL): 370
- Orlando International (MCO): 356
- Newark Liberty International (EWR): 355
- Chicago O’Hare International (ORD): 341
- Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW): 333
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL): 279
- McCarran International/Las Vegas (LAS): 257
- George Bush Intercontinental (IAH): 246
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX): 221
- Logan International (BOS): 193
- Philadelphia International (PHL): 184
- LaGuardia in New York City (LGA): 171
- Denver International (DEN): 153
- Seattle/Tacoma International (SEA): 138
- Charlotte Douglas International (CLT): 121
- San Diego International (SAN): 118
- Tampa International (TPA): 115
All TSA employees must be fully vaccinated by Nov. 22 in compliance with President Joe Biden’s executive order mandating federal workers get the shot.
TSA has 508 employees with active COVID infections. Those workers are staying home to help keep the traveling public safe, the agency reports.
TSA cumulatively has had 10,311 employees test positive. Of those, 28 have died after contracting the virus. Two TSA screening contractors have also died with the virus.
WMFE's Danielle Prieur contributed to this report.