4 Dead From Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After Irma
One person has died and three others are being treated at a hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning from an electric generator in Daytona Beach, the fourth such death as people across the state wait for power to be restored after Hurricane Irma.
Daytona Beach Fire Department officials said on Twitter that a generator was running inside the home early Wednesday. Further details weren't immediately available.
Officials across Florida are warning people to keep generators outside their homes.
In nearby Orange County, deputies found three people dead and four others were taken to a hospital for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday afternoon.
Carbon monoxide from a generator is also suspected in the death of a man in Miami. And authorities say another dozen people were treated for carbon monoxide on Tuesday in Polk and Brevard counties.
Orange County Sheriff's Office spokesman Jeff Williams says a deputy responded to the Orlando home Tuesday evening following a 911 call from what sounded like a juvenile. The deputy was overcome by fumes while approaching the home and called for fire rescue.
Firefighters pulled seven people from the home, three of whom died at the scene. Four others were taken to a nearby hospital in various conditions.
Rescue workers found a portable gasoline generator running inside the home.
Williamson described the victims as a multi-generational family.