necrotizing fasciitis

Necrotizing fasciitis
User Nefron / Wikimedia Commons

The Associated Press

A Tennessee man died this week after being infected with a flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to a Florida beach.

According to news reports, the man became ill shortly after returning from vacation in Destin Beach where he was visiting family for the 4th of July.

Cheryl Wiygul, the man's daughter, says the family discovered that a large sore had developed on her dad's back once they had returned home, as well as red bumps on his arms and legs. The man died on July 7, just 48 hours after his last swim in Florida.

Two men recently contracted flesh-eating bacterial infections through water in the Tampa Bay area. Doctors are encouraging residents and visitors to the region to be cautious, especially around brackish water.

Barry Briggs, a tourist from Ohio, was infected in March while boating near Weedon Island. He needed immediate surgery to save his foot.

Tampa General, which is still battling a lawsuit from a woman who lost parts of her arms and legs to necrotizing fasciitis, now has a similar suit, except that the patient in the new case died, the Tampa Tribune reports.

Coincidentally, both patients were in intelligence work at MacDill Air Force Base, but their infections occurred in different years and do not appear to be related.