The Florida Department of Health’s Board of Medicine has found no probable cause for some of the first complaints filed against Jacksonville plastic surgeon Loren Clayman, The Florida Times-Union reports.
The Florida Times-Union wrote about three women who said Clayman severely disfigured their breasts and caused burning pain that even years later won’t subside. Clayman performed subsequent surgeries for the three women for free, the newspaper reported.
Since then, more than 600 women said their stories were remarkably similar and called Chris Shakib, the attorney who filed medical malpractice suits for the first three women. Of those women who called Shakib, only about 250 could still sue, according to the newspaper. The others had cases from too long ago, the attorney says.
Health Department letters dated Wednesday said a review panel “determined that probable cause did not exist and directed that the case be closed,” the Times-Union reported. Once probable cause is found not to exist, the records are sealed. The women have 60 days to send the health department more information, which Shakib said they will do.